Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Activision
Model Number: AG034
Atari Rarity Guide: 5 Rare
Year of Release: 1984
Programmer: Bob Whitehead

Private Eye is a rather uncommon Atari 2600 game. You control a detective, on a search for evidence. You are equipped with only a 1937 Ford Model A (that can jump about 20 feet in the air). You have 3 minutes from the time you leave the precinct to find the "evidence", return the stolen goods, and nab the crook.

This game all boils down to knowing which way to turn at the beginning. You can start out by going either left or right on each level. If you pick the correct direction, then you will win. Otherwise you will run out of time. This game has decent graphics (well at least they are better than Breakout). It is a side scroller, (but you can change direction at any time). Besides collecting the "evidence" and "stolen goods" (which are always right out in the open), you also must avoid such enemies as, potholes, rats, and birds.

You could get a patch from the Activision Club by solving round 3 of this game (this was one of the easier patches to get).

From the instruction manual:

"Sacre bleu! I am the great French private eye Pierre Touche and I need your help. I've been summoned to capture the ringleader, Henri Le Fiend, and turn him over to the police. But wait -- we first must find evidence against him and the stolen property. There are five cases pending, each with its own statute of limitation. A case is closed when Le Fiend is apprehended and booked. So hurry! Study the files below, grab your trenchcoat and meet me at Precinct 2600 -- I'll be waiting for you."

Sleuth wanted! Help Private Eye Touche navigate the city streets, parks, secret passages, dead-ends and one-ways in search of Henri Le Fiend and his gang. Evidence and stolen goods are scattered about -- you'll need to find these, too. Let the map and your memory be your guide. And let nothing go unnoticed.

This game is valued at around $20 USD. Games with boxes and manuals are worth more.