Capcom began in Tokyo Japan in 1979 as an arcade game manufacturer. They have since expanded dramatically and have offices in Tokyo, Osaka, Sunnyvale, California, London, and Hong Kong. They are currently active in all areas of the video game market, and even own a chain of arcades known as Nickel City.

Capcom is one of the true success stories in the arcade world. They are one of the only manufacturers left from the original late 70s arcade boom, and are stronger now then they were then. They are known for such revolutionary titles as the Street Fighter series, Mega Man, and Strider. Most manufacturers have a few excellent titles, but Capcom has a ton of excellent titles, and only a few bad ones. Their PAL console conversions leave a little to be desired, something Capcom Europe has issued an official apology for. Porting titles to PAL consoles requires extra work to get the to run the proper speed (this is because PAL televisions run at a different refresh rate than NTSC televisions), something Capcom had not been doing).

I do have one major problem with Capcom, and no it isn't the fact that the Street Fighter series spanned 24 games without ever being labled higher than 3. The problem with Capcom is that they build game boards that self destruct over time. They purposely equip almost everything they ship with a suicide chip (a suicide chip is a RAM chip powered by a small battery, if it loses power, or detects an abnormality, then it is erased, rendering the game useless). They do this as some sort of copy protection, but the fact is that the bootleggers and hackers alway manage to break this protection eventually. The end result is that bootleg Capcom games are still produced (although not often, as the industry has slowed down, and bootlegging is not as popular as it used to be), but thousands of law abiding owners of Capcom hardware are stuck with a product that will self destruct in 5-12 years.

Capcom Arcade Titles