One day at my previous place of employment, some of my team members decided to amuse themselves by raiding my Star Wars daily calendar and removing most of the character pictures. Once they had a pool of characters to choose from, they assigned everybody's cubicle and office a character. Some people had choices (I got Darth Maul), others did not (my neighbour got Jar Jar).

Our project area sign also got a picture of the Death Star posted up for passer-bys to see. Nobody really gave it much thought until one day, the sign was altered to read...

"Thank you for shopping at Death Star. Please visit again soon!"

Now would be the time to fill you in on what our company was all about. Well, we were originally a small firm that designed Dense Wave Division Mutliplexing (DWDM) testing equipment. After about 6 months in operation, we produced a prototype of a tunable optical transmitter and that was enough to get the big guys showing up at our door with moneybags. Feeling invincible at the height of the bubble, we ended up selling our souls to one of these big companies for mostly stock.

Back to the story at hand...

From that moment on, our team was no longer the (product name here) Development Team - we were the Death Star, ready to blast the competitors to pieces in the name of the Empire!

Cut to a mere 10 months, 75% layoffs, and thousands of next-to-worthless stock later. News came that the plug was finally being pulled and that we had two weeks to wrap everything up.

During the doomsday meeting, the VP of Business Development asked if anybody had any questions. One of my colleagues asked out loud, "Why us?"

The VP paused in thought and replied...

"Well, you can't really name yourselves Death Star and not expect somebody to drop a bomb down your asshole, now can you?"