Lord of the Rings (often referred as LotR) by J.R.R Tolkien is probably the most famous fantasy novel ever written. It wasn't the first -- it was based on medieval sagas -- but it certainly was the first major fantasy novel since the days of Robert E. Howard.

Tolkien's hobby was language-building. He had to have a dynamic, living world to let his elven languages develop naturally, and therefore he created Middle-Earth, the world in which LotR takes place. In a fashion LotR is only a study of the Middle-Earth and its various places, peoples and individuals, but fortunately it is also a great book.

The story itself is an epic tale featuring the malevolent Ruling Ring and people who would have it. The main character in the book is Frodo Baggins, the Ringbearer, a hobbit from distant Shire. The primary story arc tells about his struggle with the Ring, and finally culminates when Frodo claims the Ring his own -- thus becoming the Lord of the Rings. The second story arc outlines the War of the Ring, a battle between the Free Peoples and the Ring's original maker, Sauron. The arcs separate at the end of the first part of LotR, the Fellowship of the Ring, and reunite at the final stages of the book.

The story works on many levels. The first-time readers enjoy a good story and a rich fantasy setting, while those who have read the Silmarillion -- a collection of tales featuring the earlier history of Middle-Earth -- see the final, cataclysmic battle between good and evil, the end of Elves' domination and the end of the Third Age of Middle-Earth. Some readers believe to have found hints of the World War II and the beginning of nuclear age, but Tolkien always denied these allegories. Either way, every re-read of LotR reveals new delicate aspects of the story to be enjoyed (or grieved: I was sad for months every time I thought about elves after the second time I read the novel).

LotR was recently chosen "the British novel of 20th century", which indicates the respect it has earned both home and abroad. LotR has, in fact, created a movement behind it: almost every European country has some sort of Tolkien association, the Internet is full of LotR sites, and screenplays (both movie and theatre) of the book are constantly made. Quite well done, considering the author only wrote two real novels in his life.

-- Update: I recently bought the soundtrack of the movie. I now wish to share some thoughts about it and how it affects the reading experience.

Some say that it isn't wise to buy a movie's score before actually watching the movie. In some cases that is true, but in the case of the forthcoming Lord of the Ringsmovie, I could not resist the urge to purchase the Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring score.

Movie scores are often not considered to be "real music", because of the format's limitations: the sound must match with the picture, not vice versa, and without the picture the sound is usually reduced into pompous repeating patterns and artificial-sounding changes in tempo and in style. In spite of all this, after a week of intense listening I find myself enjoying the score quite much. The music fits well in the atmosphere of Tolkien's writings, and most of the songs have same titles as the chapters in the book, which makes synchronizing the story with music quite easy. Reading the book with the appropriate song playing in the background gives the experience a new meaning: possibly because I haven't yet seen the film I have begun to consider the score as a soundtrack of the book. At the bridge of Khazad-Dum, the music is intense and the magnificient theme rises to epic proportions. The following song, Lothlorien, is in stark contrast: it is slow, melancholic, quiet and -- not so surprisingly -- sung in Elven. Why use only one sense when you can use two?

The score has some drawbacks: some songs sound so similar that they are almost indistinguishable, the universal theme (although good) is performed too often and in places where it clearly doesn't belong, and the choir sings some Elven songs too vaguely, which makes following the lyrics difficult.

The music is composed, orchestrated and conducted by Howard Shore, and two songs are composed and performed by Enya. Enya's voice divides opinions: I like it, but I know many who do not. The soundtrack comes with different cover pages, of which I naturally chose Liv Tyler as Arwen. Some other examples in the local store had Bilbo, Gandalf, Saruman, Aragorn and the Hobbits in their cover pages.

From my previous experience I know that watching the movie after first listening the soundtrack is somewhat unsettling: because you know how the music will change, you also have some insight into what happens next in the movie. However, it is not always a bad thing. As the plot is quite well-known already, I don't hope to see too much surprises in the movie.