The narcissus flower, also known as Anemone narcissiflora, is part of the buttercup family, ( Ranunculaceae), is native to parts of Asia, The United States, and Europe. Known as Hakusan-ichige in Japanese, Bjerg-Anemone in Danish, and narcissanemon in Swedish. Not to be confused with any other type of narcissus flower.

To view the official taxonomical report for the Anemone narcissiflora see: www.it is.usda.gov. Descendents of the narcissus flower include: Anemone narcissiflora Linnaeus, Anemone narcissiflora ssp. alaskana Hultén Alaskan anemone, Anemone narcissiflora ssp. interior Hultén, Anemone narcissiflora ssp. sibirica (L.) Hultén Sibirian anemone, Anemone narcissiflora ssp. villosissima (DC.) Hultén , Anemone narcissiflora ssp. zephyra (A. Nels.) Hultén zephyr anemone, Anemone narcissiflora var. monantha DC., Anemone narcissiflora var. villosissima DC., and Anemone narcissiflora var. zephyra (A. Nels.) Dutton & Keener . Flower breeders are specifically people who force flowers to hybrid and cross-pollinate until a new, genetically different verity is formed. These hybrids are different enough to warrant being called something else, but are usually not stable enough to become their own species, therefore they are labeled after their parents and usually the founder is noted in the binomial nomenclature.

Seeds for the Anemone narcissiflora are available commercially, sow the seeds in spring in full sun or partial shade. It seems to only be native to the mountainous areas of Alaska, Yukon, Colorado, and Wyoming, as well as areas of Europe and Asia, and doesn’t seem to grow well else where. The plant goes dormant in high heat, therefore growing best in colder climates.

Grows best in grassy, mountain slopes (var. alaskana), dry heaths (var. interior), snowbeds (var. sibirica), and meadows (var. villosissima), depending on verity. These flowers can grow between eight and twenty-four inches tall, and blooms in June. The narcissus has five to seven white petals, with numerous yellow sepals and palmate leaves which appear in basal tufts up to six inches in length, and divide into three to five segments. When looking for this daffodil, look in cooler mountainous areas.




  • Picture: http://www.abc.se/~m8449/pic/A12.jpg
  • http://ridgwaydb.mobot.org/kemperweb/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=A936
  • http://www.wildflower2.org/NPIN/Native_Plants/Detail.asp?ID=842
  • Thank you to LX for some of the research.