Masters of the Wild is a Dungeons and Dragons handbook from Wizards of the Coast. Contained within this book are new features for the barbarian, druid, and ranger classes and greater explanation of each class.

New spells, skills, feats, magic items, and prestige classes are added in this handbook. With these new inclusions players who wish to play these classes have added features to help customize their character to fit their needs. This book follows with the basis of third edition D&D manuals allowing for simplicity while maintaining customizability.

One of the most interesting additions in this handbook is a new type of magic item named the infusion. The infusion is very similar to a spell scroll it allows the user to cast a divine spell that is stored within a treated herb. To use this spell the user must consume the herb. This new magic item allows for players in animal form to still cast spells without the use of hand gestures or voice.

Overall I would suggest this book to any who are very interested in any of these classes. The only real problem that I had with this new handbook was the inclusion of the barbarian into the mix. I feel that this class doesn’t really fit as well as rangers and druids. In addition, I preferred the second edition approach to class guidebooks that contained only one class per book. However, I feel this guidebook still does a good job of improving upon these three classes.

The chapters are as follows:

  1. Nature’s Lore
  2. Skills and Feats
  3. Tools of the Trade
  4. Animals
  5. Prestige Classes
  6. Spells