40 years ago today, Yuri Gagarin, then 27 years old, was the first human to leave this planet. He orbitted the earth for 48 minutes and was safely returned. He stayed a total of 108 minutes in space.

At that time this meant an incredible head start for the soviet union. The USA had nothing to beat that.
Gagarin himself was destined to be a hero ever since. His mysterious death however is still unsolved today.

Russian cosmonauts can only dream of things like this nowadays. The reputation of the russian space program is basically at an all time low, after the crash of the MIR space station. Until the 1980s, Russian propaganda claimed that Gagarin landed smoothly on the earth. Actually he used the ejector seat of the little "Wostok" space capsule at an altitude of 7000m, otherwise he would have died a certain death. Gagarin himself was the type of person that enjoyed being famous in all the ways it has to offer.
According to his trainer Nikolai Kamanin, who published his Gagarin's diaries in 1994, his wife Walia caught him with another woman in their hotel room during a vacation in 1961. Driven by panic, Yuri simply jumped out of the first floor window, cutting his face.
Yuri Gagarin died at age 34, on March 27 1968 in a plane crash. Even 33 years after his death, the circumstances of that crash are still unclear. Gagarin and his co-pilot Wladimir Serjogin have not been physically examined before their flight, which was against regulations. Additionally Serjogin had a quarrel with his commanding officer before the flight.
Some people claimed that Gagarin was drunk, when he entered the cockpit of his plane. Others think he was the victim of a KGB conspiracy. Some even think that he was abducted by aliens.