Whhhhhhhere do I begin.

Last Saturday night, I went out for a drink with an old friend. She has a (deserved) reputation as a mankiller - in fact, the first thing we talked about was the fact that she was going out with two guys at once. So I suppose I really shouldn't have done something stupid like the following:

  • Grieve about how my girlfriend is too busy to see me
  • Go on and on about how wonderful my girlfriend is
  • Leave my mobile phone on the table while I go to take a slash

Yes, you guessed it, boys and girls! My friend promptly phoned my girlfriend and left an apparently abusive message on her answerphone. The first I hear about this is the next morning, when I go into work and find my girlfriend yelling at me.

"I wake up this morning and find this abusive voice message! I mean, if you want your friends to do something like that...forget it! You're not worth it!"

During the course of the day I find out more about this message (by now it's fairly obvious who it was left by), but I also find out more about how she doesn't want to see me anymore.

"It's just...you're a really nice guy, and I enjoy hanging out with you, but...it's all the pressure, you know?"

Pressure. Right, so going out with your friends every night and having no time for me, is that what that means?

By the end of the day, I am feeling like shit, but I've managed to calm her down and make up. Insofar as she is no longer mad at me. She receives the mix CD I made for her. We part with a hug. That's the last I see of her, I think.

But oho, no! One of my friends from work invites me out bowling to help me get over it. On the way to the alleys, we stop to fill up with petrol at a station near her house - and I see her getting cash out from the hole in the wall. With a guy I know from work. He spots me, smiles sheepishly, says hi, stares at the floor, then quickly leaves with her.

Although I suppose a large amount of the overall-bad-feeling I have is just standard break-up fare, I can't help but seeth at the double standards, what feels like a betrayal. Every time I try to organise a night out with her (or even just tag along with her and her friends), I am denied. And when one, let's face it, minor incident occurs, then suddenly the pressure is too much, she can't date any more, she's going to university in a fortnight, sorry. But it's fine to go out on what looks a hell of a lot like a date the same night?

I'll just get back to attempting to purge everything that reminds me of her. This is not going to spoil my first few weeks at university.