Where the Wild Things Are was banned when it was first published in 1967. It then went on to win dozens of awards. Why, you ask? Although the book has been extensively discussed, some of the most interesting arguments are the psychoanalytical responses to the book.

According to psychoanalytic theory, the book clearly details Max's process of learning to master his emotions. Freud stated that children learn to understand and grow through projecting emotions and situations onto external objects or fantasies, in dreams or in play. By understanding the process symbolically, they can understand it as it applies to everyday use. Max projects his aggression into a vision of the "Wild Things". He then "tames" (masters) them, and returns to the "real world."

The protagonist in the book, Max, is a very naughty child. He nails a sheet into the wall to make a tent, chases his dog with a fork, and screams at his mother that he will "eat her up". This is a vision of the child that adults, more than children, have difficulty seeing - the child as a raving, craving creature.

When Max is sent to his room with no supper, he sails away to the land of the Wild Things. The journey for "days, months, and almost a year" over the sea represents this journey into the fantasy world. If there is any doubt as to whether the creatures are products of Max's imagination, return to the beginning of the book to see the picture tacked on Max's wall. It is a drawing of one of the creatures, signed "by MaX".

It is also interesting to note how the page layout echoes this process. When we first begin the book, there is a large amount of white space surrounding the text. Gradually, the illustrations become larger and larger, until they overwhelm the entire page. Text is completely eliminated on the double page spread of Max and the Wild Things dancing and celebrating together. However, as Max tames the animals and returns to his home, the illustrations recede to their original size.

And you thought it was such a simple book.