Messrs. Drummond and Cauty are apparently both a bit weird, very talented and has a good sense for dramatics. They built their own pseudo-mythology around them, based on stuff like The Illuminatus! Trilogy, the legends of Mu and Atlantis, and pagan mythology. This is very evident in the video for Justified and Ancient, where they are dressed up in red robes, wear enormous horns on their foreheads and messages like The fall of the Empire and the death of Little Mu are imminent flash across the screen.

In the summer of 1991 the pair staged summer solstice celebration on the island of Jura. Hand-picked journalists were invited and flown by helicopter to the island, stripped of their equipment and dressed in yellow robes. During the ceremony, a giant wicker man was burned in the old-fashioned way and there was a lot of chanting. The whole event was filmed and released in 1992 as a documentary named The KLF: The Rites of Mu.

That was not their first trip to Jura, however. In 1990 they had shot a 42 minutes long film called Waiting there. True to its name, the film shows Bill and Jimmy walking around and waiting for the director of their upcoming movie The White Room to arrive. The story of that film is a strange one in itself; it was supposed to be a road movie, but the shooting was marred by a series of disasters and the end result was a 50 minute film that has only shown in public once.

Then there's the time when they (as The K Foundation) burnt a million pounds in an abandoned boathouse, also on Jura. The event took about an hour and was witnessed by freelance journalist Jim Reid. It was filmed and released as Watch the K Foundation Burn a Million Quid in 1995, though I've heard that the sound quality of the film is awful.

So why'd they do all this? To hype themselves? Or did they have something else in mind? I think they both believed in everything they did and was trying to convey the message that imagination and belief are too important to ignore. Or maybe they just enjoyed creating their own mythological pantheon. Or maybe they just enjoyed confusing people. The fact that they burned their whole musical back catalogue when they quit as The KLF speaks against the theory that they were only in it for the money, however.