Religion is all about faith and has nothing to do with reason, rationality or logic. We, as humans, have a need to believe and I think this is something we are born with and will have to accept. Even an atheist believes in something (namely that there are no gods) and this belief is mostly based on faith rather than reason. And conversely, some of the most rational men in history were deeply religious.

Well, what I wanted to add to the subject is that two different religious faiths that would seem mutually exclusive doesn't have to be. We are capable of believing the logically impossible and if you think about it, the basis of all religion is blind belief that goes against against all reason. Most of the christians in Europe during the last few centuries also observed old pagan and folkloristic traditions (although we prefer to call it superstition nowadays). The Japanese see no problems in being both Buddhist and Shinto at the same time. Zen Buddhism and Taoism is quite popular even among christians (some of the anyway).

Well, I can certainly understand that some practitioners of organized religion feel threatened by the concept of people making their own decisions about what to believe in, but for me the act of believing is more important than what you actually believe. That some religions also provide you with a set a morals and ethics can be both a curse and a blessing.