I found this newspaper clipping from THE BROOKLYN SPECTATOR, dated Friday, February 11, 1944, in one of Matt's envelopes. Knowing my grandmother, she intended to send the article on Do's and Don'ts for Income Tax Payers, which included the following cautions.

Herewith are a few suggestions:
Don't patronize anyone who temporarily rents a store.
Don't pay your taxes to anyone in cash.
If you or any member of your family are in the armed services of the United Nations you or they can secure a refund of any taxes paid during 1943 on 1942 income. If you are single and earned less than $500.00 or less than $1,200.00 if married, you can secure a refund of all taxes withheld by your employer plus any taxes paid on 1942 income amounting to less than $50.00.
Play safe and be sure.

At Loew's Bay Ridge theatre, "No Time For Love," starring Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray was the feature attraction. "Hostages," with William Bendix, Luise Rainer and Paul Lukas was the co-feature.

Part of an article "Red Cross War Drive Starts Out With A Bang" was cut off. On the back side of the clipping was news from the SAGA LODGE, No. 405, SONS OF NORWAY in which they advertised a Washington's Birthday Dance, price of admission 55 cents, including tax. There was a listing of future events and names of officers elected for the new year, treasurers, vice-presidents, marshalls, inner and outer guards. What intrigued me was the last sentence, a question, a fragment of a poem alongside a photo of EXOTIC MARGO and a real estate ad for a house for sale in Bay Ridge. (Sorry I can't add the lovely Margo photo. The article was written by exiting secretary Lillian Holst, who I'm guessing chose the poem as well as the rather blunt question.)

Wouldn't we all be better members if we abided by the following poem?

SENSITIVE MAN

I fancy man believes his whim
Is something sacred unto him,
And when another blocks his path,
Full justified becomes his wrath,
Or not so quickly would he show
The will to change a friend to foe.

So sensitive seems man to slights;
So ready to defend his rights;
So quick to hide his own mistakes,
And note the ones another makes,
'Twould seem he thinks himself to be
From all the common failings free.

The poem was cut off, no author's name was included. My attempts so far to find the rest of the poem or who wrote it have not panned out. I gave my mother copies of my write-ups from Brooklyn to Okinawa and back at Christmas. She read them and her brother was alive again, just far away.