My husband had forgotten my request for his point of view on having Alzheimer's. However, he was awake early today, dressed and ready "for work." I have simplified breakfast by making a large casserole of eggs, potatoes, onions, sausage, heavy cream, and American cheese, so on days when he attends the Adult Day Care Center, he can just heat that up. He adds two strips of turkey bacon and a buttered English muffin. He likes it so much he eats it every day, although one day he made his old breakfast and ate both. I now have to be in the kitchen because somedays he forgets what number to press on the microwave.


This morning I asked him what is your favorite window? He was still bothered that the therapy dogs scheduled to be there yesterday hadn't shown up and he told me twice about a woman who refused to eat, that he tried to talk with her, but she made a terrible face, as if she was in pain. (He mimicked a sad frown, arms crossed.) He took her over to the staff table, so they would help her. I no longer ask what he has for lunch, because he never remembers. He said he kept an eye on the woman for awhile, but doesn't know what her problem is or why she didn't want to eat. I'm learning to listen more and keep my responses simple. I told him everyone has different problems. That the people who are in charge there know and will help.


I asked him again, what is your favorite window?


"The one I look out of the most is in the library...there's always something different happening... in the parking lot or at the church. Kids playing soccer. People standing next to a car, fighting and yelling. (He laughs.) And people doing church things...not much happens outside the back windows, except there used to be a girl on a swing...I don't see her any more...and I don't know who she was."