Transforms from futuristic weapon to robot and back!

DECEPTICON: SHOCKWAVE

FUNCTION: MILITARY OPERATIONS COMMANDER
"Clarity of thought before rashness of action."

Cold, brutal, scientific approach to war. Seeks to overthrow Megatron as leader of Decepticons because he believes logic says he would be better. As laser gun, can emit lethal beams of energy from anywhere on the electromagnetic spectrum; gamma rays, x-rays, light, infrared rays, radio waves, etc. Flies in laser gun or robot mode. High fuel use, but can be powered by nuclear sources. Often confounded by initiative, emotional thinking.

  • Strength: 10
  • Intelligence: 10
  • Speed: 7
  • Endurance: 7
  • Rank: 9
  • Courage: 9
  • Firepower: 9
  • Skill: 9
Transformers Tech Specs


Shockwave was and is one of the coolest, most unique-looking Transformers ever, mainly due to his one-eyed face and laser-gun hand. His appearance is a quick giveaway that he didn't originate from Takara like most Transformers did; he was licensed from the plainly-named Japanese company ToyCo, which colored him grey and named him "Ultra Magnum". After the Transformer version was released, Radio Shack also licensed the toy in hopes of some easy sales. It actually worked.

The tech spec describes him as being ambitious for Megatron's job, but the cartoon depicted him as being unwaveringly loyal to the guy -- a modification Soundwave enjoyed as well. Too bad he was stuck as Megatron's representative on Cybertron for the duration of the cartoon; he never seemed to do anything except sit at a console day in and day out waiting for somebody to come through the space bridge. What a gyp.