In the year 1626...
- The Thirty Years War rages in Germany. Forces of the Catholic League, led by the Count of Tilly, defeat Danish King Christian IV, at Lutter, effectively ending the Danish Intervention in the conflict. In another setback for the protestants, forces led by Ernst von Mansfeld are defeated by Wallenstein at the Dessau bridgehead.
- Dutch explorer Peter Minuit purchases Manhattan island from local natives for 60 guilders (about $350) worth of cloth and buttons.
- Saint Peter's Cathedral in Rome is completed.
- Salem, Massachusetts, future site of a famous witch hunt, is founded by 20 settlers led by Roger Conant.
- In England, the Parliament of 1626 impeaches the Duke of Buckingham, angering King Charles I and causing him to dissolve the parliament.
- Spanish satirist Francisco de Quevedo y Villegas publishes his great picaresque novel, La Vida del Buscón.
- Croatian poet Ivan Gundulic publishes his greatest work, the epic poem Osman, on the Polish wars against the Turks.
These people were born in 1626:
These people died in 1626:
1625 - 1626 - 1627
How they were made