A movie by Wolfgang Petersen, based on the based-on-a-true-story book of the same name by Sebastian Junger.

The Perfect Storm

The perfect storm was a confluence of three weather systems in October 1991 that resulted in superstorm conditions never seen in recorded history.

Review

The movie begins with some of the hokiest dialogue heard since Celine Dion finished her gig for Titanic. About of a third of the way in to the movie, the boat Andrea Gail goes out again for a late October (1991) swordfish run. When the weather starts up, Industrial Light and Magic goes to work. Wow. The boat is battered by rogue waves (of between 75 and 100 feet) which is pretty awe inspiring to watch even if it is only CGI. The storm scenes are really quite amazing and totally make up for the cheesy dialogue. The real star of this movie is the storm, not the salty dog actors, e.g. George Clooney.

Differences from the book

The book did not have the cheesy dialogue, for one. Also, it is clearer in the book what events are conjecture, since no-one knows what happened to the AG in the end. However, the book is extremely graphic, and this movie does justice to the unimaginably bad conditions at sea. Overall, the movie is quite faithful to the book.