Everything is harder to tolerate when you have a cold. For the past couple days I haven't felt well. I'd come home from work and sit around instead of doing something constructive. My roommate is hardly ever around so I have the place to myself which is nice except there's no one to wake me up when I fall asleep on the couch at nine at night. Since no one could get together on my birthday my family decided to celebrate by getting together over the weekend. My dad had taken me out to a basketball game earlier. Part of his game pack included dinner for four at Applebee's. My older sister had to work but my little sister and her husband came with their two kids. The food was decent but I had a hard time concentrating on what people were saying because I was so out of it.

Sunday was the MS walk. I woke up early, looked out at the pouring rain and prayed that the walk would be cancelled. One of the women my older sister works with has MS which is part of the reason we were doing the walk. I had to loan my mom ten bucks because she wanted a t-shirt. All the proceeds go to support MS research so it was for a good cause. One of my nieces came on the walk with us. She made it most of the way which I thought was pretty good for a seven year old kid.

After the walk it started raining again. My mom asked if I wanted to go to the art museum but I told her I'd rather go home and take a nap. I ended up sleeping on her couch for a couple hours before I went back home. My roommate had some friends over. I said hi and hung out in my room. I wasn't in the mood to be dealing with other people when my whole body was achy. I must have fallen asleep again because the next thing I knew it was almost an hour later and my ex-girlfriend was on the phone. My ex-girlfriend is a massage therapist, my roommate hurt his shoulder and he wanted her to give him a backrub. I know what people think of women in massage therapy. All I'm going to say regarding that is it can be that but it doesn't have to be.

I talked to my ex for a few minutes before I handed her over to my roommate. His friends were watching American Beauty. I watched it for a while but couldn't get into it. My roommate gave my phone back to me so I went back in my room to see what my ex had to say. I listened to her for a while and a funny thing happened while I was talking to her. I couldn't remember why we were no longer a couple. I haven't talked to her recently so she had to fill me in on her life and what was going on with all of her friends. One of her friends is getting married this summer. She's already married but they did a courthouse wedding and this year was going to be the year they did the big party thing but now she’s pregnant so that's off.

My ex-girlfriend was supposed to be in the wedding. She's pissed because she put a deposit on a dress and now she's not going to be able to get her money back. Listening to her talk about her money problems brought back some of the fights we had. She doesn't manage her money well and since I am in finance you'd think she would listen to me and my advice but no. She'd rather spend her money now and bitch about it later. I didn't want to start a new fight so I told her I had to get going. My roommate’s friends were still over so I had a hard time getting to sleep at a reasonable hour.

I woke up feeling like shit. I almost fell asleep driving to my first appointment and I was in the middle of a meeting at work when I got a text message telling me my roommate's dad had just been rushed to the hospital because they thought he was having a heart attack. I asked my roommate if he wanted me to go with him to Madison where his dad is but thankfully he said no. It turns out his dad needs a new battery for his pacemaker. He's going to be okay but he's going to have to have surgery again which is a bummer. My dad has Parkinson's and his dad died of a heart attack before he was sixty. I have high cholesterol but I have low blood pressure so I'm not as high of a risk as I could be. I had a crappy day and I'm still lying around but it could have been worse. At least that's what I keep telling myself.