It is important to note that the high-flying aspect of puroresu is not the only thing which makes the Japanese style of wrestling distinct from American wrestling.

Compared to America, much of Japanese wrestling (even when performed by American wrestlers) is very stiff. In a wrestling context, stiff means that the various moves (anything from striking moves like punches, kicks, and lariats to throws such a suplex or a powerbomb) are done with much more legitimate force and much less stomping of the mat. This stiff style of work is much more interesting to watch, if you watch wrestling solely for the work.

Stiff work is not necessarily the signature of all puroresu. Some groups are more hardcore, some are more aerial, but almost all puroresu is stiffer than American wrestling. AJPW is probably the most well-known for their stiff work because of wrestlers such as Misawa, Kawada, and Kobashi.

A few of the wrestlers in America who have been known to work stiff in the puroresu style are Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho (at times), Vader, the Steiner Brothers, and the Dynamite Kid. Many other American wrestlers work stiff from time to time, but the ones above are known for it.

Certain moves in America are performed stiff regardless of who does them. The most notable of these is the knife-edge chop, made famous by Ric Flair.