For the sake of argument, let us assume that there is such a thing as a soul, and that everyone has one.

In 1975 there was a couple, husband and wife. Unable to naturally conceive a child for some reason, an advance of medical technology allowed the conception itself to take place outside the body, and have the embryo placed within the mother. This process is known as in vitro from the Latin "in glass". On July 25, 1975 Louise Brown was born to a loving family.

October 4, 2000 a new baby is born. His name is Adam. He has an older sister, named Molly. Adam was selected from many possible siblings - one that didn't have genetic disorder - a genetic disorder that is killing his sister. While the parents want to have a healthy child, his life can serve a greater good at no cost to himself. Blood from Adam's umbilical cord was infused into Molly in an operation that gives her an 85% chance of beating the disease that would have left untreated resulted in a fatal leukemia. Without the screening, at best Adam would have a 18% chance of being free from the disease and having the ability to save his sister's life.

Today, a number of genetic diseases and abnormalities have been identified and pined down to exact places on the human genome. It is certain that with the continued mapping of the genome, more will be identified.

How important is the uniqueness of genetic information? If humans are a small population, then it could cause problems. However, we are not a small population - our numbers are in the billions. If anything, this is more a problem to the world, but overpopulation is a different issue all together. Entire papers have been written about Nature vs. Nurture. Everyone is a unique person - that is the onlything they have agreed upon.

Let us consider a more down to earth problem, one that strikes at the ourselves. There are parts of our bodies that are redundant. I have two kidneys, a number of bones with bone marrow in them, two lungs and a bunch of other parts. Let us picture something happing to your son or daughter - for some environmental reason your child gets leukemia and needs a bone marrow transplant. No one can be found as a match, and your child's days are numbered. The only possible place to grow more bone marrow that matches is in another human being - from conception onward. Yes, a clone.

Has any dignity been lost? Will you love the new baby any less than you love your first child? Is the possibility of life not better than the certain death of a child? Is being an identical twin separated by years that much of a stigma that it is an evil act?

I hope that no one will ever have to say to another person "I'm sorry, we have the ability to save your life, but have decided that it is morally wrong."

If there is anything that is sacred - it is the potential of life. The Catholic church is well known for expounding upon the sacredness of life yet to be born. What about life that is living now?

Would you treat your clone with anything less than the respect that you wish others to treet you?