Valentine's Night

Scene: Man, dressed very casually, on hands and knees drawing with chalk on a walkway. Tub of sidewalk chalks at his side. Big, sweeping strokes and vigorous coloring.

Woman walks in. She is dressed in a suit, carrying a briefcase in one hand and folders and binders cradled in the other. She is reading something in her arms, walking briskly, then slows down a lot when she sees the man. He does not notice her until she is directly in front of him.

He: Oh! (flustered, puts down the chalk, wipes his hands, smooths his hair) Hi, sweetie. You're back early. How was your day?

She: (absently, doesn't look up) Fine.

He: (starts coloring again) I was hoping to get this done before you got home -- sort of as a surprise.

She: (still reading) Did the kids get to bed on time?

He: Yes. Even the big boys. They were great. Homework done and everything. I grilled some teriyaki chicken and made the rice the boys like for dinner. Boy, Gordon was really wiped out after soccer prac...

She: No vegetables?

He: (stops drawing) What?

She: You didn't have any vegetables with dinner? Are you an idiot?

He: (goes back to coloring) I'll have them tomorrow.

She: (stepping closer) Tomorrow, right. It's always tomorrow with you. (looks down) What is this?

He: (cheerfully) It's for you. (stands up next to her, takes her gently by the elbow, turning her so she can see better) See? It's a heart. (looks at his watch) It's still Valentine's Day for a little while.

(They look into each other's eyes and lean closer. She looks down to his hand on her elbow.)

She: (pulling forcibly away and stepping on to the heart) You goddamn stupid retard!! (slapping the chalk of her arm) I just got this dry cleaned!! Don't you ever think?! Ever?! (mutters and curses as she walks offstage)

He: (watches her go) (softly) Yes... all the time. (looks down at the heart, steps on a piece of chalk, audibly snapping it, walks in the opposite direction offstage)

many thanks to jjen for helping whittle this down to size!