Some days are better than others -- U2

As a pet owner and a geek, today was better because my parrot learned to mimic the modem noises. Louis is inquisitive and has a lot of time on a little brain. He enjoys high pitched noises, as well as repetitive ones. Within a week of getting a new bell toy, he learned to mimic the bell (which, btw, is annoying as hell). He also knows the telephone ring and even says "Hello" when the phone rings.

Louis also happens to have his cage in the same room as one of the computers, which is a really stupid idea because parrots love to destroy anything they can get ahold of. Louis has already done us the favor of leaving his magic touch on the moldings, shutters, clothes, chair seats, and paper. His creme de la creme includes the destruction of the keyboard cable, my headphones, and a handmade napkin holder from Guatemala.

Being in the computer room for most of the day, Louis is privy to all the computer noises. The modem noise is very unique, ergo Louis picks it up. Last night while eating dinner, Louis breaks out in his usual cacaphony, but belts out a new one: the modem. A bird's recitation of it is not exact, but it is amusing.

My next goal is to teach Louis some new words worth being taught, like endothermic. Louis should know by now that he is endothermic. Anyways, it does make for a good conversation starter.