Having children home on a teacher's work day is a blessing and a curse. Here are some time-tested (my mother used these when my sibs and I were little) and innovative ways to kill the boredom and have some fun:
  1. For those who live in a city with PT (public transportation): Get on the train (MARTA, the CTA, the Metra, whatever) and ride down a single or multiple lines. The kids can sit in the window seats and watch the scenery. You can point out various landmarks. If you go through the projects you can point out how some people live and to be thankful for what you have. Make a few loops.

  2. Utilizing idea #1, get off the train at the airport (this is safer when your kid is in a stroller or is OK with crowds, strangers, etc.) and watch the airplanes land and take off. Go to the arrivals gate and watch people disembark. Pay no money.

  3. Go to kid-friendly landmarks. The zoo (like the Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago) is sometimes free and usually easy on the wallet. Biking and walking paths are nice. So are pigeon-filled plazas with statues, jungle gyms and public pools.

  4. Get to know your city. Get directions for a scenic drive through an area. This is best in spring and fall. This is also good for getting the kids to nod off.

That's all that comes to mind now. Please feel free to add . . . .