...is a band borne out of Calabasas, Ca. Incidentally, not far at all from where I was born. It seems to me that most of the bands I find myself connecting with and truly understanding wind up being from my surrounding area. However, being from Los Angeles, I realize the odds for this are probably on my side.

These high school buddies decided to form their band in 1994 because, well, they liked playing music. A very good reason indeed.

I am still familiarizing myself with their earlier works, but it was their 1999 c.d. release, "Make Yourself" that catapulted them into stardom. Some people may think they are merely another one of the whiny, emergent bands that so overpopulate the alternative music scene these days, but I find something soulful and inspiring in and amongst their music. Their song "Pardon Me" is, i think, the most well known and with lyrics like, "A decade ago I never thought i would be at twenty three on the verge of spontaneous combustion, woe is me..." and "...so pardon me, while I burst into flames..." they have a certain politeness to their angst lacking in bands like "Korn" and "System of a Down" . I respect this.

Vocalist, Brandon Boyd, has that rare lilting and passionate yet rough edge to his voice that makes me absolutely swoon. It's as if he has the ability to reach into your chest and pluck at the strings in your heart. This is the sign of a true artist.

My favorite song off the "Make Yourself" LP is "I Miss You". It really strikes a chord with me and i just love it. It is short and sweet and like a thirteen year old girl I listen to it over and over...

To see you when I wake up

Is a gift that I didnt think could be real

To know that you feel the same as i do

Is a three fold utopian dream

You do something to me that i can't explain

So would I be out of line if I said

I miss you

I see your picture

I smell your skin on the empty pillow next to mine

You have only been gone ten days

But already I'm wasting away

I know I'll see you again

Wether far or soon

But I need you to know

That I care

And I miss you