Facts

Every year, there are six million pregnancies in the United States, and more than half of them are unintended. Half of these unintended pregnancies are ended in abortion.

Just the word "abortion" can cause extreme feelings in people. Some believe it is immoral, others feel it is the woman's choice. But I'm just going to cover the facts of this procedure, including why, when, and how it is done, without claiming support for one side or the other.

Why?

There are numerous reasons why women choose to have an abortion over the other options presented to them.

1. Not ready to have a baby
2. Can't afford a baby
3. Doesn't want to be a single parent, no relationship, doesn't want to marry her partner
4. Doesn't want anyone to know
5. Too young/immature
6. She already has all the children she wants
7. Her partner wants her to get an abortion
8. Health problems
9. Victim of rape or incest
10. Doesn't want children

Most women who have abortions feel extreme relief after the procedure. It has often been argued that most feel guilt, sadness, etc., but this hasn't really been proven. If the pregnancy was wanted and had to be terminated due to health risks, then these feelings are more common.

When?

90% of all abortions take place during the first trimester (first three months).

Less than 9% take place after the first trimester

Only 1 in 1000 takes place after 24 weeks

How?

For very early abortions, medication can be used.

1. The methotrexate-misoprostol method involves an injection and then a return visit 5 to 7 days later.
2. The mifepristone-misoprostol method involves swallowing the medication instead of an injection.

For early abortions, suction can be used. This takes about 20 minutes.

Early second trimester abortions are similar, but the preparation and the procedure takes longer.

Abortion after 24 weeks is just as risky as giving birth. Salt solutions are injected to produce labor and stillbirth (baby is dead at birth).

Conclusion

Hopefully, by giving you this information your eyes have been opened to the facts of abortion. I'm not asking you to believe in it or not to, just to understand why, when, and how it is done.