It was so hard to wake up this morning. For the past twelve school days in a row, I have seriously considered smashing the alarm clock to itty bitty pieces and falling back asleep for the rest of time. But my responsible nature kicked in today, unfortunately, and I found myself sitting in a cold car that had been left outside all night, unable to work up the motivation to scrape the frost off the windshield. Thankfully I had a temporary slave in the seat next to me, who also happens to be my brother, and he volunteered to do the job.

School was not at all interesting. I walked into first hour only to find some irresponsible sophomore had spilled slip (extremely watery clay used to stick larger pieces of more solid clay together) all over my portfolio. At first I thought it was paint, so I was quite relieved, if nonetheless peeved, when it wiped off somewhat easily. That portfolio contains my life’s work.

I am in the process of drawing my shoe. This requires that I take my shoe off and set it in front of me in order to record the exact details and shadows. Try as I might, I could not fit both of my feet into my one remaining shoe, and I was left with some very chilly little toes for an hour and a half.

We performed an intricate test on the proportions of colors in M&M packages. As everyone knows, the company advertises its product to contain 30% brown, 20% of each red and orange, and 10% each or green and blue M&Ms. The teacher distributed one bag to every student, and we added up the number of each color as a class and then calculated several tests. One was a Chi Square statistic, which proved that candy corporations are dirty liars. We also tried a two proportion Z test, which resulted in a tiny P value well below any reasonable comparable alpha value. The test was, indeed, significant.

I ate my share of M&Ms without complaining.

Went to McDonalds for lunch and won a free apple pie for knowing that the op in Op Art stands for optical. What a reward. I didn’t eat it, however. The fries were my fat for the day.

Psych was interesting. We’re on the abnormal chapter, which means we will be expected to learn every disorder known to man for the test on Monday. Every personality disorder, sexual disorder, mood disorder, panic disorder, anxiety disorder, dissociative disorder, childhood disorder, etc. etc. The list is never ending. Several of them were quite interesting, however. Ever heard of Vaginismus? Me either, til today.

I found a wonderful book at the library, called Fasting Girls by Joan Jacobs Brumberg. It’s about the historical aspect of anorexia, one aspect of this disease that I am not familiar with. It’s fascinating so far, despite the outdated info (it was published in 1988) in some places. The author does not blame the media as much as she calls attention to the tendencies of women to behave a certain way as shown across time and similar cultures. I’ll keep my progress posted. So far I’m on the first chapter, Anorexia nervosa in the 1980s.

My parents convinced me to go out to dinner with them. We ended up at Perkins, where I ate an enormous salad covered with the ever-so-yummy fat free ranch dressing. I even ate the bowl it came in – luckily it was made out of bread, so my insides are still intact… for now.