- / +

  • At graduation they were all wearing beautiful dark blue robes or multicolored ones. They were the colors of Africa but anyone could wear them. The graduates separated themselves out of the crowd - it was time. We stayed behind. We weren't allowed in the stadium. As they entered the stadium one of the remaining crowd said "listen, you can hear the roar of the applause!" but you couldn't, dummy, it was just the wind and leaves.

  • The girl told me they were going to convert this room into a kitchen. Is your dad going to put in a hardwood floor? "I should hope so, otherwise there'll be egg in the carpet." The tourists would not sit down. Couldn't they see this room was still a church? It made me so mad I yelled at them This is still a church and I do not care HOW you feel about that, you are going to sit down! People talk quieter when they are sitting. Everyone I yelled at took it well, but more people kept coming in and I had to do it all over again. The last group of people must have been twenty feet tall, I could not see their faces.

  • She had been telling us terrible things about her family and when her dad came to pick her up, we could hardly stand to look at him. He looked normal enough, but now we knew.

  • Jim Carrey was trying to kidnap us. He'd gotten us into his house and I knew he was going to take us away. I pretended to explore the place, leading my little sister into the back room. I don't think she knew the danger. I opened the window and stepped out onto the crumbling, rotten wood ledge. Jim Carrey was worried but I pretended everything was fine. I just want to enjoy the view, silly! He liked it when I flirted with him. My sister and I stepped out onto the ledge. It wasn't a far drop to the ground - we could run. I heard someone cry and remembered I had another sister, a baby, still inside - we could not leave her. How had I forgotten?