One of the least common foot types the high arched foot may have trouble finding good supportive shoes since it represents a minority of the population. The high arched foot is typically a poor shock absorber, a relatively small portion of the plantar region strikes the earth when a high arched foot lands so the points that contact the ground will have to absorb greater amounts of pressure than a foot with a lower arch. While there are exceptions to every rule generally speaking someone with a high rigid arch is less likely to develop bunions than a low arched flexible foot however having a high arch carries some potential problems of its own.

Since the high arched foot has less contact surface area to work with the heel and ball of the foot must carry more body weight per stride. Getting proper support for your arch can help redistribute the concentrated pressure beneath your heel and forefoot into your more tolerant arch. This allows you to use your foot more efficiently inside of a shoe theoretically making your shoes more comfortable. Properly supporting your high arch will help balance your weight more evenly between your feet. Support inside of your shoes can help stabilize your foot since the high arched foot tends to be less stable than the feet with medium or low arches particularly if your foot is also narrow.

Shopping for the high arched foot is more difficult than shopping for other foot types however if your gait is neutral it should be relatively easy to add some extra support where your foot needs it. Sometimes basic neutral support will be enough for a high arched foot however if your arch is excessively high your foot may benefit from added metatarsal support. Designed to help open up and relax the ball of the foot metatarsal support can be found in some shoes and may be added to others in the form of orthotic support. Good arch supports are a relatively inexpensive addition to your shoes, they can benefit your entire body and are a great investment if your foot pain is the result of inadequate support.

The two most important pairs of shoes are the ones you wear most often and the pair you use for athletic activities so make sure those are supportive enough for your foot. Most athletic shoe manufacturers make shoes specifically for the high arched foot. While most high arched feet will do best in a cushioned shoe that may not be enough support for people who are overweight or athletes with larger frames. If you are one of the few people who supinate avoid shoes that have a gray area on the medial side of the mid-sole. This extra dense material works to support a lower arch and may contribute to your tendency to depend of the lateral side of your foot.

Sometimes people I speak with think that their high arch does not have a need for support since their foot does not hurt. While this may be true for the present it may cease to be true at some future point in time. Some people go through life never knowing foot pain while some people learn the hard way what kind of pain a badly sprained ankle or a collapsed arch can bring. Foot damage tends to be cumulative and unfortunately your foot can be fine one day and not the next. Your best bet here is investing in good supportive shoes regardless of your foot type. It may mean that you have spent some money that strictly speaking was not necessary however in this case the benefits far outweigh the cost since very few of us have good posture or stand on natural surfaces that conform to our feet.

Infrequently people will have different arches on each of their feet. Typically this means that a high arch has descended to the point where it is now medium height, this is something to watch for because time and gravity will continue to pull a falling arch down. Certain disease states can also induce high arches in people, this is most commonly seen in people afflicted with Charcot's foot. Weight gain is another factor that can negatively influence your arch height. Expectant mothers should always wear properly supportive shoes to preserve good foot health and while this may be a challenge if your feet swell there are tricks you can use to work with swollen feet regardless of the cause.

To sum up the previous paragraphs high arches are usually an inherited physical trait. Typically this arch type requires a certain degree of support not found in most shoes due to lack of market demand. Removable orthotic inserts are a good way to give the shoes you have support your foot needs if your footwear does not have enough support to function as stand alone shoes. Understanding your foot type can help guide you to shoes that work with your body and your arch type. Footwear should be good and comfortable for as long as you are on your feet so if your feet hurt they may be looking for more support than you are currently giving them.

While I dislike handing out information to people without seeing their foot in person this is the type of arch I have so if you are interested in what I think are good shoes for people with high arches or you are looking for some advice on what athletic shoes would be best for your high arched foot please feel free to contact me personally for recommendations. There is a lot of information out on the internet, a lot of people are trying to sell you things so make sure that you are a well educated consumer when it comes to your particular foot type and what types of footwear will work with your arch, your body and your budget.