If we can say anything of the Internet it is this: Never again shall a Saturday morning cartoon be forgotten. King Arthur and the Knights of Justice lasted for two 13-episode seasons. When I was growing up, it aired at 5:30 a.m., and I woke up early each week for it.

The premise was simple and at least a little contrived, but what 1980s - early 1990s cartoon made in the U.S. didn't have a contrived premise? King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table have been sealed in a tomb of ice by a sorceress, Morgana Le Faye. Camelot is left in grave peril without its chief protectors. Merlin, being the resourceful wizard that he is, scours all of time for suitable replacements for the king and his knights. He settles on one aptly named Arthur King, quarterback of the also aptly named New York Knights college football team.

Arthur King is to take King Arthur's place as ruler of Camelot, and his teammates will act as the Knights of the Round Table. Merlin tasks the replacement king and knights to rescue the true king and knights from their icy tomb. Morgana and her henchmen try to stop them at every turn, but in traditional Saturday morning cartoon fashion, we arrive right back where we started at the end of 30 minutes.

This cartoon was most definitely aimed at young boys. First, it was based on the King Arthur legend. Boys like swords and fighting (I know I do), and there was plenty to be had in this cartoon. Like most other Saturday morning cartoons, there were things kids could try to convince their parents to purchase for them. There was a toy line with decent figures. Each figure had armor and a weapon. The knights all had their improbably shaped swords from the show. There was also a Super Nintendo game made by Enix based on the show. The episodes and original air dates follow.

  • Season 1
    • 13-SEP-92 Opening Kickoff
    • 20-SEP-92 The Search for Guinevere
    • 27-SEP-92 The Unbeliever
    • 04-OCT-92 Even Knights Have to Eat
    • 11-OCT-92 Assault on Castle Morgana
    • 18-OCT-92 Quest for Courage
    • 25-OCT-92 The Warlord Knight
    • 01-NOV-92 The Challenge
    • 08-NOV-92 To Save a Squire
    • 15-NOV-92 The Surrender
    • 22-NOV-92 Darren's Key
    • 29-NOV-92 Viper's Phantom
    • 06-DEV-92 The Way Back
  • Season 2
    • 12-SEP-93 A Matter of Honor
    • 19-SEP-93 What the Key Unlocked
    • 26-SEP-93 Tyronne and Everett Alone
    • 03-OCT-93 The Dark Side
    • 10-OCT-93 The Quitter
    • 17-OCT-93 Camelot Park
    • 24-OCT-93 The High Ground
    • 31-OCT-93 The Island
    • 07-NOV-93 Quest for the Book
    • 14-NOV-93 Enter Morgana
    • 21-NOV-93 The Cure
    • 28-NOV-93 Winter Campaign
    • 12-DEC-93 Tone's Triumph

Sources:
- http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideServlet/showid-10209/King_Arthur__the_Knights_of_Justice/
- http://www.pazsaz.com/arthur.html