The morning star is an ancient medieval weapon with many misconceptions. A morning star was not a stick with a chain and a spiked ball attached. That would take training and skill to wield. The morning star is actually a peasant weapon, something used to strike down wheat in the field. In reality, it is closer to a bat with nails driven through it than anything else. Some were crafted out of metal, being nothing more than a less crude club.

The great misconceptions spring forth from the Dungeons and Dragons and other role-playing aspects of today are what shape this idea that hinged weapons existed to any real extent. Items like the ball and chain, a flail of any type, or any other weapon with chain or a hinge are greatly inaccurate, as these items are works of fantasy more than anything else. They would have taken great skill to train with, and would have been rather difficult to produce en masse, due to their innate intricacies. Peasants fought in the army as little as they had to, and would be considered quite gifted to even have a sword. Items like sickles, pitchforks, and morning stars were quite common to pick up from the farm when the king called the men of the countryside into service.