Tomato Sauce Base in Bulk



The recipes in this node are excellent interpretations of tomato sauce. Unfortunately I'm a bit too lazy to crush my garden tomatoes, or even puree peeled canned tomatoes. Rather, I've devised a "way" (not even dignified of the name recipe) to make obnoxious amounts of tomato sauce base in record time.

Everythingian tomato sauce lovers may want to beat me up after tasting this sauce. But for everyday meals this type of sauce can't be beat for convenience and nutrition especially when cooking for a crowd.

This sauce should freeze for a month or two. One suggestion is to divide sauce into handy serving sizes for quick reheating later. Try not to overcook the sauce now as you may want to let it simmer after defrosting. Remember, the base is just that -- a way to prepare sauce ahead to be reconstituted at a later time. Mellowing is best left to a later meal.

The following recipe assumes no salt, sugar, or MSG is added either at the factory or to the recipe. I resorted to making sauce base for someone with diabetes who found complete sauces inedible due to high added sugar, sodium or MSG. Therefore the base alone will be exceedingly bland.


 
Shopping list

3 kg/6.6 lbs tomato puree
230g/8 oz x 3 cans tomato sauce without MSG ("flavorings")
170g/6 oz x 2 tomato paste (try to get the one that's made of just tomatoes)

Yield 4.5 to 5 L/1.2 to 1.3 gallons depending on desired thickness, stewing time, etc.
Seasonings and mix-ins according to imagination
1. Find stewpot able to accomodate sauce. Divide if necessary

2. If you want to saute ingredients into the sauce, saute now at the bottom of the pan at medium low heat. Reduce heat when saute is finished to low simmer. Might as well also brown meats at this time if desired. Saute any fresh or diced garlic at this point.

3. Open puree and dump into pot.

4. Open sauce cans and dump into pot.

5. Empty ONE paste into the pot, simmer five minutes, taste. Play with paste ratio -- too much paste can create a bad sauce instaneously. Add more paste when ready.

6. Add water to desired thickness.

7. Season at this point and remain at low simmer. WATCH THE POT. Do not seal the pot with the pot lid unless you desire an unfunny interpretation of a pressure cooker. Much like paint pots around volcanoes, this sauce will sputter all over the place. Degreaser should be at hand. Simmer for about 45 minutes or to desired reduction point.


Possible seasonings include oregano, cumin, cilantro, parsley, and bay leaves. Leftover meats go nicely with this as well as sauteed veggies. I love hot sauce in this; proceed cautiously in this respect. Experiment and be sure to tell me what combinations work best.