I was in The Scottish Play at my school about a year or so ago. Our director believed unflinchingly in the curse. He'd tell us stories of horrible things that had happened to people who uttered the Scottish King's name aloud inside the theater. We were reprimanded if we scoffed at the 'superstition'. I have heard stories of broken bones, car accidents, illnesses, terrible and bizarre bad luck befalling those who'd spoken the M. word aloud. All attributed to the utterance of that name.

You are allowed to speak the play's title during rehearsal, only if it's in one of your lines. Other than that, you must never do it. If you do, you jeopardize not only yourself, but your castmates as well.

There is a way to avert the curse if you mistakenly speak the king's name out loud. If you, like a nitwit, say the Scottish King's name, you have to immediately go outside, spin around three times, spit, swear loudly, and hope for the best.

This is what I've been taught. It's been driven into me so that now when I hear the Scottish King's name I actually flinch. Amongst the cast that I was a part of, there were some people who didn't believe in the curse. Some people were careless with words. Some people laughed aloud at the gullibility of those who believed. They spoke the M. word freely, dismissing those who insisted that they go spin, spit and swear afterward to prevent catastrophe. We were warned and warned not to say his name but some people just would not heed.

A week before the play went up, there was an electrical fire in the theater. Thankfully, nobody was inside at the time. No one was hurt, but our lights were destroyed. If I remember correctly, the fire department was never able to identify the cause of the fire. The wires were not old or faulty. It seemed that they had just spontaneously combusted for no reason at all. It ended up costing a huge amount of money to repair all the damage. The theater was unusable for the play and we had to cancel some shows. A replacement set was hastily built for us to perform with at the amphitheater across campus.

I am by no means superstitious. I don't really believe in the curse. I think it's silly superstition and nothing more. Really, I do! But through bizarre bad luck stories and my own experience, I've somehow been conditioned not to take any chances; I can never bring myself to say the play's name out loud.

Here's another thing that happened during that play. I've just remembered it and feel like sharing. I think this was on the night of our first performance. The entire amphitheater is outdoors with no roof. As the play started, a raven came and perched nearby. Beautiful bird it was. It made no noise at all, only watched all the players. During one of Lady M.'s monologues, "The raven himself is hoarse / That croaks the fatal entrance of Duncan / Under my battlements. Come, you spirits / That tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here..." the raven alit and began circling over the set. It went back and perched itself on a tree after a bit, but later, I looked up and it was flying in circles near a patch of trees to the west of us as the Scottish King was speaking the line, "the crow / Makes wing to the rooky wood"
Weird, eh?
It flew away during the last scene. Unlike the fire, the bird's visit felt a bit like a blessing.