Born in Washington, D.C., February 25, 1888, John Foster Dulles attended the public schools of Watertown, NY then graduated from Princeton University in 1908. He attended the Sorbonne, Paris, in 1908 and 1909 then graduated from the law school of George Washington University, Washington, D.C., in 1911.

He was admitted to the bar and commenced the practice of law in New York, N.Y. with the firm of Sullivan & Cromwell where he eventually became a partner. He served as a special agent for U.S. State Department in Central America in 1917. During World War I he: served as a captain and a major in the United States Army Intelligence Service 1917-1918; assistant to chairman, War Trade Board 1918; counsel to American Commission to Negotiate Peace 1918-1919; member of Reparations Commission and Supreme Economic Council 1919.

He Then served as a federal legal adviser for the Polish Plan of Financial Stabilization 1927. Continuing his distinguished career of public service, we has appointed the American representative to the Berlin Debt Conferences 1933 then served as a member of the United States delegation, San Francisco Conference on World Organization in 1945. He also served as adviser to the Secretary of State at the Council of Foreign Ministers in London in 1945, Moscow and London 1947, and Paris 1949.

He represented the United States to the General Assembly of the United Nations 1946-1949 and acted as chairman of the United States delegation in Paris 1948.

His philanthropic roles included trustee of Rockefeller Foundation and chairman of the board of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

He served on the New York State Banking Board 1946-1949 and was appointed as a Republican to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Robert F. Wagner. He served from July 7, 1949, to November 8, 1949, when a duly elected successor qualified (Dulles ran as a candidate for the vacancy and lost).

Dulles served as United States representative to the Fifth General Assembly of the United Nations in 1950 and consultant to the Secretary of State in 1951-1952. He was appointed Secretary of State by President Dwight D. Eisenhower and served 1953-1959 He died in Washington, D.C., May 24, 1959 and was burried in Arlington National Cemetery, Fort Myer, Va.