Mornington Crescent is a game, and a piece of theatre, and a conversation. If its only purpose was to confuse young American noders, I doubt it would have lasted for thirty-odd years on the radio, with people listening and laughing every week. Creating a simulacrum of a game, with what appears to be a complex history and set of rules is pleasing, even when every single listener knows the "joke" of the game. It's a game where the aim is to be amusing, and creative, and inventive and keep the flow going. It's a game where the aim is to trip up your co-players and get them to giggle madly as you invent another barmy sounding variation that is just on the edge of credibility. It's a game where you are struggling to keep a straight face. It's a game where, if you don't know what's happening, and the light starts to dawn, you can pitch in and be an expert in moments.

You can choose to make up your own rules as you go along, giving a game some sort of internal pattern: hopping diagonally across the map, only ever leaping to stations around 45 degree turns in the line, and so on. Anything that makes you happy. No one else needs to know about them.

WyldWynd, it's not cruel and unusual. It's not a system to ridicule people. It's a form of nonsense poetry. Loosen up, look at a map of the London Underground and jump in. Invent, make links, be silly, create. It's fun.