O.C. Oglevey and Mark Stiggs were recurring characters in National Lampoon magazine, reaching their pinnacle in October 1982, when NatLamp dedicated an entire issue to their epic tale, "The Utterly Monstrous, Mind-Roasting Summer of O.C. and Stiggs."

The rambling story, complete with charts, pictures, and other visual aids, is a cross between Huckleberry Finn and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. O.C. and Stiggs are two bored high-schoolers who spend their summer vacation inflicting terror on an insurance salesman and his family. The story is a richly-woven tapestry of oddball characters and drunken, mean-spirited, but utterly hilarious pranks. The boys fund their extravagant debauchery two ways: by selling stamps from an album they stole from the insurance agent's hydrocephalic kid many years before, and by swindling their dim-witted stooge Barney, who just turned 18 and collected a $25,000 trust fund that was set up for him during childhood after a neighbor's malfunctioning lawn mower shot a chunk of its blade into his skull.

Anyone who wanted to read this story either had to find a rare back issue or track down a hardback, out-of-print NatLamp humor collection that published the story without any of the pictures. Fortunately, Jay "The Scanner Bitch" Naughton, the archivist at the National Lampoon website, lovingly scanned and posted all 21 chapters.

Robert Altman directed a film based largely on this story in the mid-80s, but it totally flopped, despite being packed with stars such as Dennis Hopper, Martin Mull, Jane Curtin, Paul Dooley, Ray Walston, and Jon Cryer. The movie lacked the raw meanness that made the story so compellingly funny, and instead portrayed the protagonists as lovable but forgettable scamps.