Part Two: The Creed »

Commentary on Martin Luther's Small Catechism, Part I: The Ten Commandments.

An excerpt from Martin Luther’s “Small Catechism” (1529) follows.

In 1517, the Reformation began when an Augustinian monk in an obscure province of Germany nailed 95 Theses on the Wittenberg Cathedral door, intending to inspire a debate in the sleepy university. The monk and Bible Professor instead ignited a powder-keg of religous and political discontent, plunged Central Europe into a war among Christians of unprecedented ferocity and barbarity, which drove a sectarian wedge into the Church which exists to this day.

By 1529, Luther had abandoned the hope for reform of the church from the top down. The “Small” and “Large” (or “German”) catechisms followed a series of church “visitations” by a committee headed by Luther under orders from the civil authorities. Luther, who had lead a sheltered life of a monk and academic, was appalled by what he discovered in the course of the “visitations”, or inspections, of churches in rural Saxony. Ignorance of the basic elements of Christianity was rampant in both laity and clergy.

Luther therefore wrote catechisms for use by the head of the household in teaching his family to rudiments of Christianity -- the Commandments, the Lord’s Prayer, and the Creeds. The “Small” Catechism reduces all commentary down to the absolute minimum, and was suitable for rote memorization. The “Large” Catechism is, essentially, the Teacher’s Manual for the “Small” Catechism.

Luther answers most elementary objections about the Ten Commandments. For example, the objection can be found here that the Sabbath is remembered by different sects on different days. Luther’s gloss (We should fear and love God that we do not despise preaching and his Word, but regard it as holy, and gladly hear and learn it.) shows that is irrelevant. The Sabbath is about preaching and/or listening to God's Word (making it a “holy day”) not about taking a “holiday”. As long as you are setting aside one day a week for spiritual growth, you are fulfilling the commandment.

There are several different lists of "Ten Commandments", all more or less based on Exodus 20. Luther uses the “Catholic” list. Luther was an Augustinian monk, and the "Catholic" statement of the Ten Commandments comes to us from St. Augustine. Of course, the passage from Exodus 20 includes several commandments about idols: don’t make them, don’t bow to them, don’t serve them. They all get combined into Number One. Protestants after Luther (i.e. Calvinists), however, were iconoclasts and felt that “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image” deserved its own commandment. I think the iconoclasts miss the point, which is that you cannot serve two masters.

Small Catechism, Part I

The Ten Commandments

As the head of the family should teach them in the simplest way to those in his household.

THE FIRST COMMANDMENT

You shall have no other gods.

What does this mean?

We should fear, love, and trust in God above all things.

THE SECOND COMMANDMENT

You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God.

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God that we do not use his name to curse, swear, lie or deceive, or use witchcraft, but call upon God's name in every trouble, pray, praise, and give thanks.

THE THIRD COMMANDMENT

Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God that we do not despise preaching and his Word, but regard it as holy, and gladly hear and learn it.

THE FOURTH COMMANDMENT

Honor your father and mother, that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God that we do not dishonor or anger our parents and others in authority, but honor, serve, and obey them, and give them love and respect.

THE FIFTH COMMANDMENT

You shall not murder.

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God that we do not hurt or harm our neighbor in his body, but help and befriend him in every bodily need.

THE SIXTH COMMANDMENT

You shall not commit adultery.

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God that we lead a pure and decent life in words and actions, and that husband and wife love and honor each other.

THE SEVENTH COMMANDMENT

You shall not steal.

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God that we do not take our neighbor's money or property or get it by dishonest dealing, but help him to improve and protect his property and means of income.

THE EIGHTH COMMANDMENT

You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God that we do not tell lies about our neighbor, betray him, or give him a bad name, but defend him, speak well of him, and take his words and actions in the kindest possible way.

THE NINTH COMMANDMENT

You shall not covet your neighbor's house.

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God that we do not scheme to get our neighbor's inheritance or house or obtain it by a show of right, but do all we can to help him keep it.

THE TENTH COMMANDMENT

You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, workers, animals, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

What does this mean?

We should fear and love God that we do not force or entice away our neighbor's spouse, workers, or animals, but urge them to stay and do their duty.

Part Two »