This is a story about work. I know that you are supposed to leave your work where it belongs, in the office, but sometimes it follows you. Sometimes it stays.

I work for an organization that provides home care. The main goal is to of course care for people in their homes, help them to stay in their home longer (thus avoiding nursing homes and hospitals, etc). We also have teams for specific purposes - oncology, paediatric, geriatric, and so on. Each team is composed of case managers who are RN's (for the most part). So, I work with nurses.

I receive phone calls from people on a regular basis requesting assistance with anything from basic information to nursing care to people who are actively dying. Yesterday seemed to be much of the same until I received a phone call from a woman with cancer. I receive phone calls from women with cancer every day. Every single call is different.

I can usually retain my composure, these times, I try to. I wanted to cry with her. She couldn't stop, she just got her diagnosis yesterday and she has a young son. The father is absent. Her job is causing her stress as they are demanding of specific documentation and surgery dates and she is apologizing to me for crying. And I just want to crawl through the phone and hug her. It is not enough.

The doctor missed her diagnosis. Dismissed her symptoms. Well over a year ago. It is my sincere hope that everyone realizes something very important - doctors are not infallible. If you think something is wrong, push for testing, ask questions. Know your body and be aware. You need to take care of yourself.

I know you have heard this before, I'm sure you have. I don't want to hear it anymore, either.

Please take care of yourselves.