Stands for Digital Video Broadcasting, and is defined as the European standard fot Digital Television. Also the name of the group that sets this standard, created in late 1993.

There are also in comercial use and implementation the American ATSC system, and the Japanese ISDB. All three standards allow for multiple video and audio signals to be multiplexed in a program stream.

DVB uses the MPEG-2 standard for video and audio compression, MPEG standards for multiplexing, and a variety of standards for transmission, according to the medium of the transmission.

The main specifications are:

  • DVB-T for terrestrial broadcasting, using the COFDM modulation. Operating in UK since December 2000.
  • DVB-C for cable broadcasting, with QAM modulation.
  • DVB-S for satellite based broadcasting using QPSK modulation.
  • DVB-MC and DVB-MS for microwave broadcasting above and under 10 Ghz frequency, respectively, using QAM and QPSK modulations.
The DVB standard also allows an hierarchical transmission scheme, in which a main video signal is transmitted with more or less priority than others, becoming more or less error prone, and consuming more or less bandwidth according to the priority assigned to it in the program stream.