The coyote (Canis latrans, trans. barking dog) is the smaller of the two North American wild dog species. The male coyote weighs between 20 and 50 lbs and stands 23 to 26 inches tall at the shoulder. Length from nose to tail-tip is generally between 45 and 60 inches, with around 1/4 of this being a large, bushy tail. Female coyotes are smaller, tending to be about 4/5 the size of the male.

Coyotes are slimmer and more delicate-looking than wolves. Their muzzle tapers directly into their forehead with almost no bulging of the cranium. They have long, sharp teeth designed for slashing attacks. Their ears are wide and erect. They have a thick fur ruff around their neck which helps to protect the throat during combat. Their eyes are yellow and set at a slant, with a more feline or fox-like expression than those of a wolf.

A coyote's paws are more elongated than those of a wolf or dog; if a wolf's paw print can be described as square, the coyote's is rectangular. Coyotes have four toes with nonretractable claws as well as a rudimentary fifth toe set high on the leg with a dewclaw. A coyote's fur is reddish-greyish-tawny, with distinct variation between back and belly. Each individual hair is shaded, going from light close to the skin to dark at the tip. Coyotes have a thick undercoat of downy fur in addition to the coarse overcoat visible.

Coyotes, like wolves, are pack animals. They communicate through scent, body language, and vocalizations. Their howl is a combination of barks, yips, and rising and falling ululations. Due to this, it is almost impossible to tell the number of coyotes in a pack by sound. Coyotes are extremely fast runners with great stamina. They are also very social and playful animals. Coyotes are mostly monogamous. Their breeding season is February through March, with a gestation period of 60 to 63 days. Litters can consist of three to seven pups.

Coyotes are primarily scavengers, although they can and do hunt when necessary. A coyote's diet is more eclectic than a wolf's, including mice, insects, berries and fruit. Since the decline of the wolf and the destruction of pristine wildlife habitat, the coyote has adapted and expanded incredibly. Coyotes are found throughout almost the entire United States, and have begun expanding into Canada. They are found in close proximity to humans, even on the outskirts of cities, and have become expert trash scavengers.

When a coyote attacks, it takes advantage of its speed and lightning reflexes. It dashes in and gives its opponent several slashing bites, then dashes back out of reach. Personally, I would rather be attacked by a wolf than a coyote, because a coyote can inflict serious damage before its opponent has time to react.

Coyotes are beautiful, engaging animals. I have had the opportunity to interact with several of them in captivity, and actually helped raise three coyote pups.

Unfortunately, a large percentage of the population still has a perception of the coyote as a pest, rather than one of the mechanisms with which Nature attempts to maintain balance. Hopefully, this will change someday, because there are few things as beautiful as the coyotes' song in the moonlight.