Before I start this review I'd just like to state for the record that Nelson Demille is the best action writer of all time. Whatever I say throughout this review please keep in mind that I maintain that Nelson Demille is still the greatest action writer of all time.

Up Country is all about a retired military detective. He has a military background, he served twice, once in '68 and again in '72. He's smart, he's strong and best of all, he's a pro. When his old work colleagues asks him to make one more trip to Vietnam, Paul Brenner finds it rather difficult to decide. He battles with inner demons and finally makes the decision. Paul will make the third and final trip to 'Nam.

Despite the fact that this is one of Demille's better written books, I found that the storyline wasn't as compelling to read on than his other hits. Basically Brenner is asked to find a man that witnessed a murder back in 1968 in 'Nam. As soon as he is briefed, Brenner knows something is fishy 'cause hes a smart guy.

Main Characters

Paul Brenner
Paul is your average Demille smart arse. A really funny guy to listen to, Brenner can make light of anything and can always throw a joke round. He is almost always right when it comes to making predictions about, well, pretty much everything. He was a top detective and retired because he had just had enough. But now hes back, and on yet another jaunt to Vietnam and this one is bound to be his last, One way or the other.

Susan Webber
Paul meets Susan on his trip to 'Nam, she turns out to be quite a guide. Without Susan Paul's trip may not have gone to plan, but is there something deeper to Susan that Paul has missed? But, I suppose, Paul is a smart guy - nothing to worry about. Susan speaks english, French and Vietnamese. Handy.

I found this book rather hard to read, despite the colourful writing style. Demille has the rare skill of writing books that are actually easy to read. This is the first one that I struggled with. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, it just wasn't his best.

If you have any kind of interest in history or wars or anything educational really, then I'm sure you will enjoy Up Country. It has my recommendation. Just.