The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Thirty-One
DISLOCATION OF A CERVICAL VERTEBRA

TITLE: Instructions concerning a dislocation in a vertebra of his neck.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a dislocation in a vertebra of his neck, shouldst thou find him unconscious of his two arms (and) his two legs on account of it, while his phallus is erected on account of it, (and) urine drop from his member without his knowing it; his flesh has receives wind; his two eyes are bloodshot; it is a dislocation of a vertebra of his neck extending to his back-bone which causes him to be unconscious of his two arms (and) his two legs. If, however, the middle vertebra of his neck is dislocated, it is an emissio seminis which befalls his phallus.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having a dislocation in a vertebra of his neck, while he is unconscious of his two legs and his two arms, and his urine dribbles. An ailment not to be treated."

NOTE A: As for: "A dislocation (wnh) in a vertebra of his neck, "he is speaking of a separation of one vertebra of his neck from another, the flesh which is over it being uninjured; as one says, "It is ----------" concerning things which had been joined together when one has been severed from another.

NOTE B: As for: "It is an emissio seminis which befalls his phallus," (it means) that his phallus is erected (and) has a discharge from the end of his phallus. It is said: "It remains stationary", when it cannot sink downward (and) it cannot lift upward.

NOTE C: As for: "While his urine dribbles," it means that urine drops from his phallus and cannot hold back for him.

case thirty
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case thirty-two