The Edwin Smith Papyrus
Case Eighteen
A WOUND IN THE SOFT TISSUE OF THE TEMPLE, THE BONE BEING UNINJURED

TITLE: Instructions concerning a wound in his temple.

EXAMINATION: If thou examinest a man having a wound in his temple, it not having a gash while that wound penetrates to the bone, thou shouldst palpate his wound. Shouldst thou find his temporal bone uninjured, there being no split, (or) perforation, (or) smash in it.

DIAGNOSIS: Thou shouldst say concerning him: "One having a wound in his temple. An ailment which I will treat."

TREATMENT: Thou shouldst bind it with fresh meat the first day, (and) thou shouldst treat afterward with grease, (and) honey every day until he recovers.

NOTE A: As for: "A wound, not having a gash, while it penetrates to the bone," it means that the wound is contracted, reaching as far as the bone, (though) there is no gash in it. He speaks of (its) narrowness, his wound not having two lips.

NOTE B: As for: "His gm' (temple)," it means the region thereof between the corner of his eye and the orifice of his ear, at the end of his eye and the orifice of his ear, at the end of his mandible.

case seventeen
index of The Edwin Smith Papyrus
case nineteen