True, Dance Dance Revolution is often just played as a game of skill, matching steps with the arrows on screen, but there are many people who take the game to the next level.


These are the people that hoard their quarters and other various loose change in order to run down to the local arcade featuring the latest DDR machine. These are the people who spend hours in said arcade, popping quarters into the slot and "dancing" for hours on end in order to perfect their latest moves for competition. Yes, that's right folks, Dance Dance Revolution competitions. This is where the hobbyist is separated from the dedicated professional. At such freestyle competitions, which are held in various cities at various times of the year, people gather to show off their latest DDR tricks. Skills like moonwalking, knee drops, and various forms of breakdancing are often displayed. The more adventurous competetor attemps such crowd pleasers as jumping off the arcade machine or over the bar located behind the dance pads. Some people even pair up, and perform dance routines or skits with their partner. Needless to say, this can be quite entertaining and/or amusing, when the competition is stiff.


Yes, Dance Dance Revolution is nothing close to actual dancing that normal people do, but it gives gamers and outlet for physical activity. And when a true master of the game steps up to the platform, it's something to be in awe of.