*/ Disclaimer - I am not in a frat. /*

Okay. I think frats are kind of getting the short end of the stick here. Despite the abundance of assholes in frats nationwide, there are a couple things that need to be pointed out, just for objectivity.
1. Not all frat brothers are asshole pricks.
2. Frats, as odd as it sounds, do serve a purpose.

For the first issue: Not all frat brothers are the complete schmucks many make them out to be. I am friends with a goodly number of them, and find them to be good-natured guys who enjoy partying and the occasional prank. And some of them are even ::gasp:: CS MAJORS!!!!!!

For the second: One of the things that turn many people off to frats is the hazing. It seems cruel, unusual, and sometimes downright mean. But hazing has a purpose beyond providing the other brothers with hours of free entertainment. That purpose is inculcation. Pledges come in as a group, they get hazed as a group, and they become brothers as a group. Were it not for that fact, I would wholeheartedly agree that hazing is wrong. But the frat way of hazing is remarkably similar to the methods used to inculcate teams of Marines and SEALs. Those methods often produce a group of tight-knit people willing to back each other to the hilt. And I just can't see that as a completely bad thing. What some call a bastion of rich white elitism really provides a support network for people through college and into the real world. And as far as the presence of minorities in frats is concerned, check my writeup on affirmative action for my feelings on that, they should be fairly clear.