When it came to encouraging the public to fork out for the products of their labours in the recording studio, The Grateful Dead were never the most marketing-savvy group of musicians. Peer an inch below the surface of any interview with counter-culture cowboy Bob Weir, or hyper-intellectual Phil Lesh, or any other of Jerry Garcia's grizzled and endearingly shambolic troop of misfit minstrels, and you'll be confronted with an unmistakable sub-text: "Our studio albums stink".

Perhaps because of its source being the members of the Dead themselves, this view has taken on an air of orthodoxy. But like all orthodoxies, it shouldn't be accepted unquestioningly, especially since it is in many places directly challenged by the evidence. Listen, for instance, to the sparse, poignant arrangements on 1973's Wake of the Flood, or the almost medieval grandeur of the second half of '77's Terrapin Station. Listen too to the unrivalled hippy outlaw music of '70's double-whammy of Workingman's Dead and American Beauty. You'll soon be convinced that the accepted view cries out for reappraisal.

Certainly, what the band brought to their live shows was different from what appeared on vinyl. It couldn't fail to be: as the old saying goes "There is nothing like a Grateful Dead concert". Dead shows were unparalleled experiments in band/audience symbiosis, occasions for the manifestation of a joyous Dionysian power that swept through, and united, band members and crowd alike. Such talk may sound like so much stoned, cosmic hyperbole, but the Dead in concert really had to be seen to be believed. It is not for nothing that, having experienced a Grateful Dead concert for himself, the veteran American mythologist Joseph Campbell proclaimed the band "the inheritors of the Eleusinian mysteries".

It would be unreasonable to expect that sort of magic to take place in the sterile, audience-free confines of the recording studio. But it is a mistake to think that its absence from the band's studio corpus makes that work bad. To be sure, some of it is bad - Shakedown Street (1978) and Go to Heaven (1981), to name but two, have few redeeming moments, and even fewer admirers. But then there were concerts that were bad too, shows in which the musical kindling steadfastly refused to blaze, no matter how much heat was applied by the audience. It could be argued that the Dead's unpredictability - the tantalisingly real chance that this time they might not succeed in pulling the rabbit out of the hat - was at least part of what made them so exciting and mesmerising, both in concert and on record.