Post-natal depression is a very common experience for new mothers. In some cases they just feel they cannot cope with their baby and all the pressure that goes with it. After the first joy and feelings of excitement the new mothers start to have feelings of depression, resulting often in crying, feeling inadequate and that they are unable to cope. This, however, is only a mild form of post-natal depression and soon wears off as parenthood kicks in. This is often described as 'baby blues.'

It is known that one in ten women suffer post-natal depression more severely than most. They start to not only reject their new born child but also their partner and often many of the people around her who are just trying to support her. They suffer from terrible mood swings and can easily before detressed causing them to have a poor diet and lack the sleep they need in order to look after a new-born baby. This condition needs medical counselling in order for it to be helped and healed. There are many drugs that can be prescribed to help but the most important drug of all is the kindness of friends and family. Support is everything during post-natal depression and often talking over your problems with friends or advisers outside the situation is the best way to handle it. Their words can be vital.

One in five hundred new mothers suffer from a much more severe depression known as Puerperal Psychosis which needs emergency remedies involving psyciatric care. The Infanticide Act 1938, which is in place in the U.K, states that a woman cannot be found guilty of the murder of her child within twelve months of its birth if she is suffereing from severe post-natal depression.

Sites on post-natal depression and how to solve it are here:

  • http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/page.cfm?pagecode=PMNZPN
  • http://www.lexapro.com/resources/screening_tool.asp?GID=5172&source=SEOPPC
  • http://mhf.org.uk/page.cfm?pagecode=PMNZPN