Types of Eggs

Chicken Eggs
  • Commercial Eggs: The kind you can buy at the grocery store. May be either brown or white, depending on the breed of hen that laid them. Contrary to popular belief, these eggs all have similar nutritional values regardless of color.
  • Fertile Eggs: Living eggs that will eventually hatch if incubated properly. Are more expensive and tend to spoil more quickly than commercial eggs. There is no nutritional difference between the fertile and nonfertile varieties.
  • Organic Eggs: Produced by chickens that were fed chicken feed free of fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides. Again, no difference as far as nutrition is concerned, although the strict diet necessary to produce them does increase their cost.
  • Free-Range Eggs: Supposedly grown by chickens living outdoors, these eggs are identical to the others in terms of nutrition.
Other Types
  • Quail Eggs: These very small, speckled eggs are generally used as appetizers or to garnish salads. They are less healthy than chicken eggs, possessing almost twice the amount of cholesterol in proportion to their size.
  • Duck Eggs: These eggs are slightly larger than those of the chicken but have a similar color. They are often used in dessert recipes due to their richness and gelatinous properties. Unfortunately, these same properties arise from a high fat content and a cholesterol level even higher than that of the quail's egg.
  • Goose Eggs: Larger still than those of the duck, these eggs are also very well-suited to dessert recipes due to their richness of flavor and obscene cholesterol content.
  • Turkey Eggs: Larger than a jumbo chicken egg, these eggs contain more cholesterol than goose eggs, but without the flavor. Most of these are used for breeding purposes, making them very difficult to find.
  • Ostrich Eggs: These rare eggs are roughly twenty times the size of a chicken egg. They are generally used to make omelets or scrambled.