If you think that a bat or a knife is as lethal as a pistol, I think I've got a bridge in New York I'd like to sell you. Yes, people can kill people with their bare hands. It just takes a lot of work. Let's take a scenario, like a verbal fight between two men in a parking lot.

  1. It is legal to carry concealed weapons: It is possible that either man has a gun. So they get really angry at each other, one of them opens his car door and pulls his pistol out of his car and shoots the other man. Perhaps dead, perhaps just critically injured. Man 1, the heat of the moment over, has now realized he just killed/nearly killed another man over a simple disagreement.

  2. It is illegal to carry concealed weapons: They get really angry at each other, one man pulls out a tire iron and hits the other in the back with it. The heat of the moment over, the first man realizes he has physically assaulted another man. But in this scenario, the second man is still alive, and only gets a bad bruise or a broken rib.

Yes, this is a specific case. But this is what people are talking about when they say guns kill people. Gun control advocates don't think that guns leap off of the table and shoot people. We think that it makes it more likely that at the end of an argument or a robbery, someone ends up dead. And that's what I meant in my first version of the writeup 1: to deny this fact is stupid.

 

1: "see also: stupidity, ignorance, and you'd better take another look at stupidity in case you didn't get it the first time."