I've never had Ramen before, so I was naturally curious when I saw it at our local Cub Foods. I mean, this stuff was 8 for a dollar - how could I go wrong? I piled a selection of 8 mixed packets of Ramen into my cart with the rest of my goodies (mostly unhealthy things) and proceeded to the check out counter.

Fast forward about three weeks. Its about 10 at night. I'm sitting in my dorm room alone, (my room mate's at a baseball game in Milwaukee) and hungry, and there's no food. There's no way I'm going to walk back to Cub by myself this time of night (the townies have been restless, lately), Geri's is pretty much out of the question for the same reason, and I don't have a car, so I can't drive to Wal Mart.

Wait, I remember, I have Ramen! This is great. Crisis avoided. I dig into our box o' food, well, what was left of it, and pull out a roast beef flavored Ramen pack. Now I'm really excited. But what to cook them with?

Herein lies the problem. I have no hot pot, plate or any other kind of appliance that makes water hot, EXCEPT a coffee maker. Fine, I'll use that. It works for hot chocolate, after all. Here, I should say I used the coffee maker to heat the water, not actually cook the Ramen. That may have actually worked better.

So, the water's a-heating, and I gather the necessary supplies: fork, bowl (to heat and cook the Ramen in), and cup (a container to place the cooked Ramen in). I place the Block O Ramen into the bowl, and it fits, but there's some kinda sticking out of the top, so I pour some of the hot water over the brick, and then attack with the fork. Once it softened up and conformed to the bowl I added more water, stirred and added that little packet of flavoring that comes with it. Now I have something that looks like noodle soup in beef broth. I assume this is normal. I let sit for a few minutes, and fork the contents of the bowl into the cup.

What have I done?

The stuff was really bland, to begin with. At least I thought it was. I actually couldn't be sure, cause I've never had this before. But I was pretty sure this wasn't right. And I kept eating, which made it worse. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good. It was filler, with a hint of beef.

This is not to say I don't want to try it again – I'm just going to wait until the mass in my stomach is gone. I'm interested to try the different techniques and recipes on E2.

Eventually.