First of all, merely finishing last doesn't make somebody a nice guy. Whether or not you're a nice guy is for other people to decide. Still, for the purposes of this discussion I'll agree to replace the phrase repressed weenie with nice guy. Moving right along.

I'm nice to my male friends... I enjoy talking to them, I genuinely care about their problems, we do all kinds of fun stuff together, if any of them needed me to drive them someplace or help them move I'd do it at a moment's notice, and I wouldn't dream of trying to get any of these guys into bed. Why is that behavior taken for granted as normal, but if they were women, I bet I'd be accused of being a nice guy? Why is it that we see being cool to women as a chore, as something we're being nice by doing?

Because my interactions with my male friends are actually fun in and of themselves; there are few women I know with whom I can have a conversation about nanotech, distro wars, or anti trust suits, jimmyCarter. Because having a LAN party or going out to the target range and wasting a couple of hundred .45 ACP rounds is not what most women would consider legitimate entertainment. Because with guys I can go to movies like Mission to Mars, and bask in it's delicious B-grade badness, while with women I go to movies like The English Patient and appreciate it for the quality cinema it is when what I feel like doing is basking in some delicious B-grade badness. Because guys aren't attention junkies-- we can grow together to where we're like brothers, then move to different parts of the country, not talk for years, then meet on the street again and pick up where we left off. Get it? If you take physical attraction out of the picture, men prefer being with other men.

Attraction acts as a social lubricant, so to speak. It counteracts some of the alienation the genders feel toward each other. Except, after a few months, or maybe a few years, the attraction evaporates, and one is left wondering "What was I thinking? Why have I made all these commitments to this person who hardly has anything in common with me?". Hence, the 40% and climbing divorce rate.

Now, what these proverbial nice guys do is they go so deeply into denial about this that the illusion of actually enjoying the company of their female friends is almost complete. It certainly fools said friends often enough. I say illusion because the guys who actually do enjoy hanging out with women have happy, friend-filled lives and aren't complaining about finishing last.

Of course, there will be like a dozen E2 women jumping in saying "Well, I don't fit this stereotype. Men find me fascinating. I'm a total tomboy." I never said you don't exist. I just said that you're exceptions to the general rule; give yourselves great big pats on the back. In fact, I have maybe two female friends that genuinely are that way, and with them, I never feel like I'm getting the crappy end of some kind of bargain. With time there will be others, and every single one of them will earn her way in, just like the guys in my life do.

The cure to the nice guy syndrome is to always question your motives for being "nice". Repeat after me, brothers: "Would I still be doing this for her if she was male?". If you absolutely can't think straight ask someone you trust whether or not you're being a pushover. Or go home, wank off and then ask yourself again if you still feel compelled to lend her your car keys and $400 so she can go visit her friend Spike at the State Prison. In extreme cases, there are even organizations known as escort services who for a fee can send over someone who has approximately the same build, hair color, and skin tone as the object of your obsession. For the price of a few psychotherapy sessions, these individuals can help you work out all kinds of issues, allowing you to return for a while to that razor's edge between "pushover" and "asshole" that you are expected to tread as a male in modern society.