The Miss Wyoming pageant, held in Gillette, sends one contestant annually to the Miss America competition. Primary sponsors include Advance Truck and Auto, Wilkerson and Bremer PC, D O Inc., Verizon Wireless, Radisson, and K2, the local NBC affiliate. The Miss Wyoming Scholarship Committee allows the $5000 scholarship to be used for tuition, room and board, and other educational expenses. The winner also receives $1100 toward her wardrobe for the Miss America pageant, and for her participation in the one-year "Speaking in the Schools" program receives the use of a car, cell phone service, gasoline, a jacket, crown, and bouquet. Smaller cash prizes are given to the other contestants, including $250 awards to all non-finalists.

To be eligible to compete in the Miss Wyoming pageant, participants must be United States citizens, and be a resident of the state of Wyoming (those employed in Wyoming and attending college there are also permitted to compete). Contestants must have been born female, never have been married or pregnant, have completed high school or their GED, and be between the ages of 17 and 24. They must also be of "good moral character," and never have been convicted of any crime.

Source: Miss Wyoming Scholarship Organization, http://www.misswyoming.org/